STEP-NC Machine Change History
Changes in release 9.52 (2013-03-21)
- Updated faceter for better handling of periodic surfaces,
singularities, and better quality meshes. Error recovery code
prevents crashes when a face does not facet properly. Better
performance for complex surfaces.
- Ignored unknown tool paths (e.g. connectors) rather than crashing.
- Use the operation's technology if it is not specified on a toolpath.
Changes in release 9.51 (2012-10-26)
- Correction to the APT CL parser for NX.
Changes in release 9.50 (2012-09-29)
- Fixed misidentification of pocket flat bottom conditions as through
in the features property dialog.
- Updated internals to new software stack which has better support for
AP242 plus better code sharing across CAD and CAM development tracks
for faster deployment of CAM data exchange
Changes in release 9.49 (2012-06-29)
- Corrected issues with tool units.
Changes in release 9.48 (2012-06-22)
- Corrected issues with APT parsing of MULTAX and COOLANT statements.
Changes in release 9.47 (2012-06-22)
- DLL fixes to correct feedrates for metric models. This problem
affected the MasterCAM export plugin.
Changes in release 9.46 (2012-06-14)
- Any supplemental geometry is now shown as part of the annotations
when present in a file. Planes are trimmed to a portion of the part
bounding volume and are drawn with 50% transparency.
- Updated Mazak machine tool model to correct some minor issues with
the tool changer kinematics.
Changes in release 9.45 (2012-06-08)
- Extended machine tool menu with a "Show Extra Machine Motions"
submenu containing any extra kinematic motions defined for the
current machine. Selecting a motion will execute it.
Changes in release 9.44 (2012-06-06)
- Changes to make tolerance face display more robust when given
geometry that does not use proper shape rep subtypes.
- Added improved Mazak machine tool model with much more detailed
geometry and kinematics descriptions.
Changes in release 9.43 (2012-05-25)
- Implemented machine kinematics case for an empty workpiece chain,
which fixes a crash in some new KTH data.
Changes in release 9.42 (2012-05-21)
- Fixed some viewing problems related to degenerate closed loops and
unset values in presentation information.
Changes in release 9.41 (2012-04-16)
- Replaced the Mazak VQC 20 machine model with one that has better
axis limit information, which should correct the limit issues with
the previous version.
- Corrected an internal problem that prevented axis limit exceeded
messages were not being shown. Also changed the display so that
they are now shown in a larger font at the bottom of the geometry
Changes in release 9.40 (2012-04-13)
- Added Mazak VQC 20 machine model with AP242 kinematics. Note that
the machine limits for this model may still need adjustment, so you
may need to move the part around using the Machine Tool | Adjust
Mount Point dialog.
- Updated machine kinematics processor to handle the case where a
single kinematic_link_representation_association is referenced by
multiple context_dependant_kinematic_link_representation objects.
- Reversed the high and low limits of the axes on the workpiece chain
for machines described by AP 242 kinematics.
- Improved faceter to correct problem computing UV-space distance,
which was causing some bad trimming paths. Now limiting tolerance
on shells to global uncertainty, which corrects some faceting
- Corrected problem where the wrong copy of a point was being used to
connect multiple toolpaths.
Changes in release 9.39 (2012-02-24)
- Corrected issues AP-238 CC1 export function.
- Added support for extra geometry in AP242 kinematics models and
updated Hermle 5-axis AC machine model with complete geometry for
housing and other extra pieces.
- Now zooms to full view after importing toolpaths or workpieces so
that any changes are immediately visible. Previously, particularly
with an empty workplan, the view might not display the new data.
Changes in release 9.38 (2011-12-15)
- Added support for machine tool models described using AP242 with
kinematics. Includes an example Hermle 5-axis AC machine model.
Changes in release 9.37 (2011-11-14)
- The STEP-NC Explorer now has full international character set
support for filenames and input strings.
- Updated with pre-release ST-Developer v15 fixes for UTF-8 support.
Changes in release 9.36 (2011-10-14)
- Updated with pre-release ST-Developer v15 fixes for much faster
reading of STEP machine tool models.
- Graphics improvements that improve quality of facets, handle faces
that were previously missing, and catch unusual assembly structures
that were causing repeated or misplaced components.
Changes in release 9.35 (2011-08-29)
- Improved handling of wrap-around NURBS surfaces and STEP surfaces of
- Added new simplified DMG machine tool model created by KTH.
Changes in release 9.34 (2011-08-25)
- Rigid tapping on Fanuc and Haas now use G84/G80 blocks.
- RPI Haas style now uses whitespace for better readability.
- Custom code export style names are now case insensitive.
Changes in release 9.33 (2011-08-17)
- Faceting is now faster because it is done in multiple threads.
Using a minimum of 2, and a maximum 4 based on the number of
(virtual) processors in the system.
- Corrected bug where STEP data deletions were causing the system to
- Removed extraneous refresh code that was slowing down editing of
tool diameter, length, and radius values.
- Added internal notifications to stop background processing when the
STEP-NC data is changing.
Changes in release 9.32 (2011-08-16)
- Major changes in the event loop processing which should keep things
much more responsive while facetting. The faceter also now runs in
a separate thread in the background.
- Faces are now added to the display as they get faceted. The axis
direction arrows are now drawn using the stencil buffer and Z-buffer
is preserved across multiple redraws.
- Fixed regression that prevented the Hurco machine from displaying.
- Now displaying coordinates in the main geometry window when picking
faces. The coordinates and controls are still shown on the position
Changes in release 9.31 (2011-08-15)
- Added "rpi-haas" code export style.
- Pick face to return actual pick point on face, and make Setup WCS or
part space results work properly.
- Machine tool models on the machine tool menu are now grouped by type
into virtual, milling, turning or robot categories.
- Improved graphics performance with special-case code for sphereical,
toroidal, cylindrical, and conical_surface. This should result in
faster and better faceting. Other facetting internal improvements.
- Fixed regression where missing probing tools were causing a crash in
- Improved handling of degenerate trim edges (edges that are smaller
than the global uncertainty of the context.) (Such edges really
should never appear in the STEP data, but we do encounter them
Changes in release 9.30 (2011-07-14)
- Added two new machine models for the ABB IRB 6640 and IRB 120 robots
for testing non-milling types of processes as described below.
Changes in release 9.29 (2011-07-12)
- Added a new machine model for ABB IRB 6620 robot for testing other
non-milling types of processes like welding, tape laying, or pick
and place. When used for motion simulation, the tool is currently
placed where the end effector would be.
Changes in release 9.28 (2011-07-12)
- Same as v9.29 above, but installer did not include robot geometry.
Changes in release 9.27 (2011-07-09)
- Reworked the position window to clarify what origin is used for the
coordinates and to allow display in different units. The window now
has a toolbar at the bottom. One of the toolbar button selects the
origin as either the Part Space or the Setup WCS. Previously this
was handled by the "Apply Setup Transform" checkbox. The other
button sets the display to use the file units or force inch or mm.
- When picking a face, the position window now shows coordinates in
Setup WCS if that option is selected. Previously it always showed
the coordinates in Part Space.
- After changing a Setup WCS, the geometry display is now centered on
the part and fixtures no longer turn on inadvertantly.
- The machine tool menu now has a "Show Extra Machine Geometry" button
to turn on display of things like doors and cabinets that are not
part of the motion axes. This is a per-machine setting, so you can
turn it on for one while leaving it off for others. The Hurco and
trunnion machine models both have extra geometry.
- Reorganized the machine tool menu on the toolbar. It is now called
"Machine Tool" instead of "Motion". The "Collision" checking button
is now on this menu rather than the top toolbar.
- Updated faceter with additional performance improvements.
- Removed spurious message when feeds updated for workingstep.
- Tool length adjustment algorithms updated to work when the tool is
in inches but the ISO 13399 parameters are in mm and vice versa.
Changes in release 9.26 (2011-07-01)
- Added a new machine tool model for Hurco 5-axis AC machine.
- Improvements to graphics performance. Reduced memory usage.
Changes in release 9.25 (2011-06-23)
- Corrected the workpiece placement in the for AutoMetric Micro
machine tool model. Moved the placement so that it should be on the
- Improvements to graphics performance. Corrected some slow behavior
when facetting certain types of faces, which should make models come
Changes in release 9.24 (2011-06-20)
- Added new machine tool model for AutoMetric Micro.
- Extended machine model XML parser to alow missing geometry on an
axis in a chain. Added up="-y" direction for workspace orientation
and parser to handle table="-x", etc.
- Internal improvements to the geometry faceting code
Changes in release 9.23 (2011-05-31)
- Added keyboard shortcut F7 to intersect current position, plus API
refinemants for fine adjustments to position when doing facetted
simulation. Also showing wait cursor during intersection.
Changes in release 9.22 (2011-05-23)
- Now rebuilding the tool assembly and potentially forcing updates to
the tool pane and geometry when changing ISO13399 files for a tool.
Changes in release 9.21 (2011-05-23)
Changes in release 9.20 (2011-05-23)
Changes in release 9.19 (2011-05-20)
- Now trying to build a tool assembly from ISO 13399 data before
populating the tool pane. If any of the basic properties change as
part of that assembly process, the pane will now show the correct
values. The geometry display is also updated if an assembly was
produced in that process.
Changes in release 9.18 (2011-05-18)
- Changes to the ISO 13399 tool functions and speedups to the display
refresh when modifying the functional length of a tool assembly.
Also added pop-up menu with basic tool operations to workingsteps
associated with a tool.
- Update of the ISO 13399 schema to fix the ordering of item_version
- Corrected internal issue that was crashing on the Boxy test data.
Changes in release 9.17 (2011-05-12)
- Update of the ISO 13399 schema to fix some issues with missing
transform data, plus internal reorganization of ISO 13399 tool
Changes in release 9.16 (2011-05-05)
- Improved refresh time and geometric update after changes to the
clamping lengths of tool assemblies.
Changes in release 9.15 (2011-05-04)
- Improved refresh for changes to clamping lengths of tool assemblies,
and pressing enter on clamping length field activates the dialog.
Changes in release 9.14 (2011-05-03)
Changes in release 9.13 (2011-04-28)
- Now displaying units for ISO13399 parameters, and the parameters
should be shown after creating a tool assembly.
- Now displaying units for all other tool parameters as well.
Changes in release 9.12 (2011-04-27)
- Added "Load ISO13399 from File" and "Assemble Tool from ISO13399"
options to the pop-up right click menu on tools in the tool tab.
Assembling a tool can be done multiple times and you can provide
your own or default values for the clamping lengths.
- More improvements to the toolpath sweep removal code. The swept
shells and the intersections should be more robust and can start
accumulating multiple sweeps.
Changes in release 9.11 (2011-04-22)
- Fixed schema conflict that was causing workpiece import to fail
after reading ISO 13399 data.
- Internal API changes to the STEP-NC DLL to accomodate assembly of
tool models from ISO 13399 data.
Changes in release 9.10 (2011-04-11)
- Fixed occasional problem with unrecognized units when importing
- Intersect current tool position function should now handle
overlapping 3-axis intersections much better.
- When capturing a movie, you can now control the framerate of the
Changes in release 9.9 (2011-03-24)
- Testing toolpath sweep removal. Added menu entries to the Simulate
menu to toggle display of an in-progress model, intersect current
tool position, and intersect a toolpath sweep to the next waypoint.
Changes in release 9.8 (2011-03-17)
- Added initial test code for computing toolpath sweep volumes, as
"Show Sweep Volume" under the Simulate menu. Currently handles
linear toolpath segments and does not yet take into account setup
placement or tool axis changes.
- Internal geometry improvements, plus the Part Properties pane can
now display a part as a working shell model for simulation testing.
On the right-click popup menu for parts, use the "Show/Hide Shell
Models" to toggle them on or off.
Changes in release 9.7 (2011-02-11)
- The Part Properties pane can now display a part as a voxel model.
On the right-click popup menu for parts, use the "Show/Hide Voxel
Models" to toggle them on or off. By default, the voxels have a
dimension of 1 unit (mm or inch, whichever the part uses). You can
set the resolution using the "Set Voxel Resolution" menu item.
- Display of ISO 13399 parameters has been corrected to eliminate
- Relaxed some assertions in the faceter to allow more models to
Changes in release 9.6 (2011-01-19)
- ISO 13399 parameters are now brought in using an STRL link. Use
this by adding a Tool Reference Data property to a tool, and then
specifying the STRL using the right-click menu.
- Imported ISO 13399 parameters are now displayed in a tree according
to the assembly or item structure in the CTF file.
- Many internal updates to geometry and voxel simulation handling.
Changes in release 9.5 (2011-01-05)
- Added entry for Tool Reference Data (ISO 13399) to the tool pane.
The tool reference data can include an STRL and will be displayed
Changes in release 9.4 (2011-01-04)
Changes in release 9.3 (2010-12-10)
- Updated internals to new shell-based STEP facetter.
- Fixed voxel display and the stpsim voxel simulation generation
program so the Explorer can again display voxel simulations. This
had been broken during the update to the new graphics engine.
Changes in release 9.2 (2010-11-12)
- Improvements to the facetting of STEP geometry.
- Added a new wireframe mode for displaying the facetted model. Under
the Views toolbar menu, select Wireframe or Shaded to switch between
the two displays.
Changes in release 9.1 (2010-11-04)
- The trees and panes now keep better track of the workingstep, tool,
or tolerance that you are looking at as you move from pane to pane.
So picking a workingstep in the workplans tab, then moving to the
tools or features tabs will show you that workingstep on the other
tabs, and vice versa.
- The Feed/Speed editing pane now has more flexible options for
highlighting toolpaths and executable. Instead of a single on/off
button, there is now a menu where you can choose whether to draw
toolpaths in bold, show workingsteps in a bold text, and whether to
expand the workplan tree to see all affected workingsteps.
- Eliminated unneccessary reload of the workplan tree when editing
Changes in release 9.0 (2010-10-26)
- Tool properties like diameter, length, etc. can now be given upper
and lower requirements along with reasons for the requirements.
Right click on a property in the tool tab and select "Edit Upper
Lower Requirements" to bring up the editing dialog.
- Updated the tools tab so that the tooltips that give machining times
should be much more responsive to changes.
- The part properties tab now has a Measurements category for the
measurement geometry used by compensation workingsteps.
- Improved faceting problems on some faces with unusual edge curves.
Changes in release 8.78 (2010-10-15)
- Fine tuning the delays on the tooltips that give machining times.
- Fixed faceting problems where wrap-around on sigularities was not
getting handled correctly and trim curve processing of complete
loops in the middle of the path.
- STRLs are now stripped from workingstep names in comments of the
Changes in release 8.77 (2010-10-14)
- Enabling and disabling workingsteps is now much quicker, and the
tooltips that give machining times should be much more responsive to
- Graphics improvements should shorten the initial display time for
Changes in release 8.76 (2010-10-11)
- Corrected extraneous linear moves after Fanuc-style helix export in
fanuc, okuma, and haas output.
Changes in release 8.75 (2010-10-08)
- Changed enable/disable workingstep handling so that the chosen
workingstep in a selective is preserved when the selectives is
disabled and re-enabled. Previously, it was always resetting to the
first one in the list. The individual states of all nested working
steps are now also preserved when a workplan is turned off and on.
- On Fanuc and Okuma code generation, now allowing for up to five
degrees of slack in the determination of the helix working plane to
account for setup compensation adjustments.
Changes in release 8.74 (2010-10-07)
- Changed the mapping for Touch_Probe as described in the TC/E2
documents. It is now a proper tool ARM subtype and instance of AIM
machining_tool rather than a unique standalone type.
- Added Diameter, Radius, and Functional Length to the Tools add
- Fixed problem that prevented values from being committed when
editing the faces of a compensation workingstep.
- Renamed Default Units to Units for Data Entry, and the menu now
asks the current model for the value.
Changes in release 8.73 (2010-10-06)
Changes in release 8.72 (2010-10-01)
- Major graphics update. Surfaces should no longer have any gaps at
the trim curves and singularities should also display much smoother.
This has been tested on a branch for several months, but there are
still likely to be some regressions, so let us know if you are
having problems with a particular file.
- Added Edit Placement to the Part Properties context menu, to change
the orientation and location of individual workpiece shapes.
- Reorganized some of the entries on the workplan pop-up menu.
Changes in release 8.71 (2010-10-01)
Changes in release 8.70 (2010-09-30)
- When setting Fixture | Machine Mount Reference, the dialog box now
contains a "best guess" computed initial value for the mount point
if one is not already present.
- Fixed crash when picking machine tool model faces or shapes.
- Moved the Import / Export Tool shape menu entries from the File menu
down to the context menu on workingsteps. Also added menu entries
to Export Initial, Final, and Delta shapes.
- Retired the Import Max5 and Import AP238 CC1 options on the working
step context menu.
Changes in release 8.69 (2010-09-29)
- The "Import Tool Parameters from STRL" context menu entry was trying
to import a workingstep by mistake, but has been corrected.
- Extended the face color checkboxes on the side of the geometry
window to go up to datum "G".
- Fixed the File | Open dialog so that it includes the .stpnc
- Simplified the Export CNC dialog box by removing some outdated
Changes in release 8.68 (2010-09-28)
Changes in release 8.67 (2010-09-28)
- Fixture is now properly shown or hidden when a file is first read.
Previously it was always shown regardless of the checkbox state.
Fixture is also now shown for new workingsteps, frame definitions
and compensation workingsteps.
- Added Apply/Remove Compensation entry to the popup menu on frame
definitions and compensation workingsteps. When a compensation has
not been applied, the icon includes a yellow warning triangle.
- Added Insert Reference Frame and Insert Compensation Workingstep
menu entries to the edit menu on the workplan tree.
- Updates to the display of fixture placements in setups and the
measurement geometry in compensation workingsteps.
- Added rotation gadget to the placement-setting dialog used for
fixture and workpiece placements.
- Menu entries for setting fixture reference points are grayed out
if a workplan does not locally define a fixture.
- Added Delete All Unused Workpieces menu entry to the part properties
pop-up context menu.
Changes in release 8.66 (2010-09-27)
Changes in release 8.65 (2010-09-24)
Changes in release 8.64 (2010-09-22)
Changes in release 8.63 (2010-09-21)
Changes in release 8.62 (2010-09-17)
- Moved the import as-is / to-be / delta functions from the File menu
down to the context menu on the operations in the tree window.
- For workplans, added new Fixture options on the context menu to
import shape and set reference points. These are part of the setup
information, so a setup will be created if needed.
Changes in release 8.61 (2010-09-13)
- Added Import | Raw Measurement Geometry option to the pop-up context
menu on compensation working steps.
- Corrected test for no faces on the Show Nominal / Evaluated Faces
context menu entries.
Changes in release 8.60 (2010-09-10)
- Added Import | Measurement Geometry option to the pop-up context
menu on compensation working steps.
- Added Show Nominal / Evaluated / Frame Nominal / Frame Evaluated
Faces option to the pop-up context menu on compensation working
steps. This colors the faces red white and blue.
Changes in release 8.59 (2010-09-07)
- Added support for the draft closed-loop programming model.
Compensation workingsteps are now identified with a different icon
and will display any associated measurement geometry.
- STEP-NC files now have the .stpnc file extension. The older .238
extension is still supported, but is no longer the default.
Changes in release 8.58 (2010-08-09)
- Internal improvements to probe plan generation functions.
Changes in release 8.57 (2010-07-30)
- The algorithm used to define the as_is and to_be models for an
executable has been enhanced so that: if no as_is defined for a
model then the to_be for the last model is used. If no to_be is
defined for a workplan or selective, but there is one defined for
the last executable in that workplan or selective then it is used.
If there is still no as_is defined for a workplan or selective and
there is one defined for the first executable in that workplan or
selective then it is used.
- Added Import Tool Parameters from STRL to the import context menu in
the workplan tree.
- Extended the workplan setup dialog to either pick three intersecting
faces or type in the exact coordinates. Dialog is no longer modal.
Changes in release 8.56 (2010-07-28)
Changes in release 8.55 (2010-07-28)
Changes in release 8.54 (2010-07-15)
- Added new tool parameters for material standard, recommended feed,
and recommended speed.
- On the tool tab, only tool parameters that are set are shown.
Right-click on a tool now brings up a menu that allows you to set
new tool parameters.
Changes in release 8.53 (2010-07-15)
Changes in release 8.52 (2010-07-01)
- Flute count and corner radius tool parameters are not shown only
when they are set. Now displaying tip angle when present.
- Corrected bug in tapping_cutting_tool where it was incorrectly
identified as a combined_drill_tap
- Added guard to the helix code generation to watch for degenerate
planar cases and emit plain arc moves instead.
Changes in release 8.51 (2010-07-01)
- Added support for the range of possible tool types and now
displaying tool properties for overall assembly length, flute
length, taper angle, hand of cut, through coolant, thread pitch,
thread size, thread taper count, and thread form.
- Added background image to the viewer mode buttons to make the
selected one easier to see when using the Aero interface.
Changes in release 8.50 (2010-06-24)
- Fixed some regression in picking faces and shapes.
- Simplified the format of STRLs.
Changes in release 8.49 (2010-06-10)
- Exported code now forces a hard stop M00 whenever the setup changes.
- Added basic framework for generating tapping operations using the
parameters in the operation and feature locations, plus specific
code for G331/G332 rigid tapping operations on Siemens.
Changes in release 8.48 (2010-06-04)
- Corrected bug where unclamped NURBS surfaces were not getting processed
- Internal changes for the handling of cross-section data.
Changes in release 8.47 (2010-05-21)
- The workpiece setup is now shown as the origin when displaying with
a machine model.
- Added a second, smaller set of axes in the workpiece view (e.g. w/o
machine) to display the machining origin given by the workpiece setup.
- Improved face picking get a more accurate coordinate value for the
picked point, and global picked coordinated are reported in the
current coordinate system.
- Removed the smaller axes on the machine model. (They used to show the
tool axis and part placement.)
Changes in release 8.46 (2010-05-11)
- Picking a machine tool model from the Motion menu now turns on
display of fixture shapes as well.
- Updated handling of full circle helix.
- Corrected facetting issue on KTH in-process model
Changes in release 8.45 (2010-05-06)
- Rearranged the Setup | Workpiece Properties dialog to present
informaption in a clearer manner. Also added a Workpiece Properties
entry to the right-click popup menus on both the Workplan and Part
Properties tree tabs.
- Added Machine Parameters entry to the right-click popup menus on the
Workplan tree tab, extended the dialog with a machine name field.
Also added a delete button to remove the requirements.
- Fixed crash with KTH workpiece.
- Improved license key handling on 64bit machines.
Changes in release 8.44 (2010-04-29)
- Added a Horizontal Machining Center with a tombstone to the list of
available machine tool models, and updated the description so that
the machine tool model now comes up in the proper orientation.
Changes in release 8.43 (2010-04-27)
- Added a new Horizontal Machining Center to the list of available
machine tool models.
- Added "Adjust Mount Point/Machine Axes" to the "Motion" toolbar
menu. This brings up a dialog with spinner controls for the axes of
the machine tool model and the part mounting location on the machine
table. Using these controls you can move the part to different
locations on the table or temporarily nudge the machine tool axes.
- Corrected a problem with the machining simulation that kept the
scene from updating when the tool position window was open and a
machine tool model was in use.
- Changed the tool position window so that it will use scrollbars if
it is too small to contain its contents.
Changes in release 8.42 (2010-04-23)
- Extended the face color checkboxes on the side of the geometry
window to go up to datum "F".
Changes in release 8.41 (2010-04-22)
- On the Part Properties pane, the tooltip on Workpieces now gives a
count of the number of workingsteps that use a workpiece instead of
the number of workingsteps that reference a piece.
Changes in release 8.40 (2010-04-21)
- Presentation information and drafting callouts are now associated
with their workpieces and are properly preserved when deleting other
- On the Part Properties pane, Workpieces now have a tooltip that
indicates how many workingsteps use it.
- Now ignoring disabled workingsteps when looking for the first
workingstep to display in a file
- Status bar now shows when the geometry is done loading and the
content lists start loading.
Changes in release 8.39 (2010-04-12)
- Updated "Open STRL" to open STEP-NC files from the network when
given a URL.
- Some UI refinements to dialogs that pick faces (make tolerance,
datum, manage faces)
- Extended the STRL entry field so that it resizes with the window,
added a "go" button. Other UI refinements.
Changes in release 8.38 (2010-04-12)
Changes in release 8.37 (2010-04-12)
Changes in release 8.36 (2010-04-08)
- The selected workingstep now remains visible in the tree view when
selecting feeds and speeds, even if many folders are expanded to
highlight other workingsteps.
- Adjusted display of feed and speed values to allow floating point
values at three digits of precision.
- Updated the Feed/Speed pane with a button to control whether editing
maintains a constant chip load or allows the speed and feed values
to vary independently. Fixed refresh issue when editing all values
within a program, and selected the current technology after editing.
- Changed the initial mode on the Feed/Speed pane so that it comes up
displaying values for the current tool rather than the entire
- The Save As file dialog for is now initialized with the file name
and directory. Save on a new project is now handled as a Save As.
- Corrected the background color on the model checkboxes when used
with Aero visual styles.
Changes in release 8.35 (2010-04-07)
Changes in release 8.34 (2010-04-01)
- Updated setup change animation to keep the fixture from moving.
- Took over of highlight drawing in the tree windows to avoid issues
with subtle difficult-to-see coloring under the Aero UI styles.
- Changed the implementation of speed and feed editing to allow for
more optimized handling and added wait cursors for visual feedback.
Changes in release 8.33 (2010-03-30)
- Independently computed bounding box for the setup/workpiece/fixture
for each workingstep. This fixed a bug where the workpiece was not
properly placed on the machine table.
- Doubled speed of rotation in setup change animation
Changes in release 8.32 (2010-03-24)
- The enable/disable state for workingsteps is now saved with the
file. The main workplan tab now grays out the workingstep name when
it is disabled, as was previously done in the tool tab.
- Added "Export Shape" entry to the context menu on the part
- Corrected crash when using File | Export | Workpiece on a default
workpiece that has no geometry.
- Updated the part properties pane to allow editing of the workpiece
name by pressing the enter key.
- Added "Remove Duplicates" to the menu on the Feed/Speed window.
Changes in release 8.31 (2010-03-18)
- Added File | Import | Fixture Shape for Operation ...
- The import shape for operation menu entries (as-is, to-be, delta,
fixture) now show the operation after import. Previously, the
display was going back to the first operation in the file.
Changes in release 8.30 (2010-03-11)
- Corrected menu entry for Import Workingstep Paths.
- Fixed bounding box computation in graphical display that was causing
nothing to be shown for files that contained only toolpaths without
any other geometry.
Changes in release 8.29 (2010-03-05)
- Extended Feed/Speed editing pane to operate on Selectives.
- Forced refresh in the machining time estimates popups after calling
the Optimize Feeds operation.
- Lists of tools, features and tolerances in the model tab now include
items in selectives.
- Lists of tools, features and tolerances in the model tab only
include those in the currently active executables.
Changes in release 8.28 (2010-03-03)
- Added "Haas Mini Mill 3-axis" to the available machine tool models.
Changes in release 8.27 (2010-03-02)
- Relaxed restriction on "Optimize feeds ..." so that it is available
on workplans, selectives, and workingsteps.
- Fixed refresh issue after optimizing feeds.
Changes in release 8.26 (2010-02-22)
- Restored display of workpiece color information.
- Added "Optimize feeds ..." option to the workingstep context menu.
This adjusts the override curve on toolpaths to an improved feedrate
computed using constant chip calculations in the radial direction.
You can also specify a maximum feedrate that should not be exceeded.
- Reorganized the various import operations on the workingstep context
menu into a new "Import" submenu. This includes "Import Workpieces
from STRL", "Import Workingstep from STRL", "Import Cross Section
Data", "Replace Workingstep Paths", and the "Replace Workingstep"
from MAX5 options.
Changes in release 8.25 (2010-02-16)
- Internal changes to "Read Cross Section Data" handling.
- Fixed handling of cross-section "name" parameter so that it stays in
sync with the rest of the values.
- Added "Apply Setup Transforms" checkbox to the tool position window
to show coordinates with setup transformations or the raw values in
Changes in release 8.24 (2010-02-12)
- Simplified Cross Section Parameter display and clarified the
Changes in release 8.23 (2010-02-06)
- Internal changes to "Read Cross Section Data" handling.
Changes in release 8.22 (2010-02-05)
- Fixed issue with time and distance computation on workplans.
- Added "Read Cross Section Data" option to context menu on the
Changes in release 8.21 (2010-02-01)
- Fixed slowness when checking/unchecking workingsteps. Also fixed a
problem when double-clicking on checkboxes (a .NET issue was causing
the checkbox to not reflect the actual checked state)
- When the mouse is places over tools on the tools tab, a popup window
indicates the total machining time and distance for that tool.
Changes in release 8.20 (2010-01-29)
- Using the checkboxes to choose elements of selectives now behaves
like radio buttons. Only one is checked at a time.
- Adjusted the disabled color for grayed out list items in the tool
Changes in release 8.19 (2010-01-21)
- When workingsteps are disabled on the workplan tab, they are now
displayed in a grayed out font on the tool tab.
- Removed the version number from the install directory name so that
shortcuts pinned to the start menu or taskbar are not broken every
time an updated version is installed. Also removed version number
from the STEP-NC Machine start menu shortcut for the same reason.
Changes in release 8.18 (2010-01-15)
- Enhanced processing of Selectives so that the following operations
that can apply to selective or workplan also work for selective
- Insert Workingstep
- Insert NC function
- Insert Workplan
- Move Executable
- Plan Surface Probing
Changes in release 8.17 (2010-01-11)
- Added an "Import Workingstep from STRL" entry to the pop up menu on
the workplans tab.
Changes in release 8.16 (2010-01-11)
Changes in release 8.15 (2009-12-15)
- Copy STRL to Clipboard now works properly when selecting a
workingstep with no toolpaths.
- Restore of position between files now works properly when the
project contains workingsteps without toolpaths.
- Go To STRL text box in the toolbar is now active. Entering an STRL
in this text box will open it.
- Added an "Insert Workingstep" entry to the edit menu on the
- Added an "Import Workpiece from STRL" entry to the pop up menu on
the workplans tab.
- [Bug 503] Fixed ReadCatiaAptFile regression.
Changes in release 8.14 (2009-12-14)
Changes in release 8.13 (2009-12-10)
- Added File | Copy STRL to Clipboard option to save the current tool
position on the clipboard as STRL text.
- In the Motion | Adjust Mounting Position dialog, removed the maximum
and minimum limits on the position spinners because these were not
being initialized properly when rotational axes were involved.
- Fixed missing tool display when following an STRL or switching
between designs using the Fwd/Back buttons.
- [Bug 493] Fixed NULL pointer crash getting cross section params.
Changes in release 8.12 (2009-12-09)
Changes in release 8.11 (2009-12-07)
- Updated machine simulator to support tool changers. When the tool
is changed, the machine is moved to the changer location, switches
the tool, and returns to the workpiece. The tool changer location
is part of the machine definition. Similarly, the tool is withdrawn
from the workpiece before the setup change is animated.
Changes in release 8.10 (2009-12-04)
- Initial support for tool change animation.
Changes in release 8.9 (2009-12-02)
- Added initial support for STRL links within workplans. Workingsteps
that contain STRLs are now displayed as links. Using the "Follow
STRL Link" command on the popup menu will go to the STEP-NC file and
position given by the STRL. Manual editing of the STRL can also be
done using the Edit STRL option on the popup menu.
Changes in release 8.8 (2009-12-01)
- Now saving and restoring the workplan location when using the
forward and back arrows to move between STEP-NC Files.
Changes in release 8.7 (2009-12-01)
Changes in release 8.6 (2009-11-23)
- Added a navigation toolbar that allows moving back and forth between
multiple files open in memory.
Changes in release 8.5 (2009-11-16)
- Corrected a graphics update issue when restoring a saved tool
Changes in release 8.4 (2009-11-16)
- Added a Save as STRL option now saves and restores the toolpath
parameterized position properly. Previously, the parameter was
calculated for the entire workingstep rather than the toolpath.
Changes in release 8.3 (2009-11-11)
- Added a Save as STRL option for saving the execution position as
part of the file.
- When reading a file with an STRL, the explorer will now go to the
workingstep and tool position given by the STRL.
- Object IDs are no longer shown with the Workingstep names in the
Changes in release 8.2 (2009-11-11)
Changes in release 8.1 (2009-11-05)
- Fixed issue in the new facetting where parts of faces with many
holes were missing.
Changes in release 8.0 (2009-11-02)
- Complete redesign of the code which facets STEP surfaces for the 3D
display, which should result in better graphics and performance, as
well as watertight facetted geometry for use in simulation.
Changes in release 7.40 (2009-09-24)
- Added "View | Workingstep Parameters" pane listing any higher level
process parameters given for each workingstep. Currently covers
tapping, multistep drilling, drilling, reaming, and boring as well
as bottom, side, and freeform milling operations.
Changes in release 7.39 (2009-09-21)
- Added a "Replace Workingstep Paths" option to the pop-up menu on
workingsteps. This will replace the toolpaths on the workingstep
with ones from a workingstep with the same name in the specified
- The position window now displays units for the axis position,
feedrate, and spindle values.
Changes in release 7.38 (2009-09-18)
- The tooltip windows in the workplan tree with time estimates for
workplans and workingsteps are now updated when items are enabled
and disabled, or when feedrates are changed.
- The main window now saves and restores the position of the split
between the tree window and the geometry window between runs. It
resets to the default split if the value gets unreasonable.
- Tool identifiers and tool numbers are now displayed separately on
the tool tab. Both may be edited.
- Corrected an infinite loop when selecting tools with a tolerance on
the tool tab.
- Added methods to the DLL cursor class for setting tool override.
Changes in release 7.37 (2009-09-16)
- Corrected handling of Selectives in the visualization code so that
toolpaths now display properly.
- Corrected initialization bug that was sometime preventing datums and
tolerances from being displayed. Also changed face hilighting on
the Part Properties pane so that only datum faces are shown when a
datum is picked in the tree.
- Improved handling of workpiece display when looking at the Features
tab. Now shows the to-be shape of the first associated workingstep.
Changes in release 7.36 (2009-09-15)
- Added support for Selective program elements. Generates code for
the first enabled workingstep it happens to find.
- Corrected an issue with APT CL read of arcs in millimeters that was
causing false errors.
Changes in release 7.35 (2009-09-14)
- Setting the As-Is or To-Be shapes on a workingstep does not modify
the previous or next one if they already have shapes. Otherwise for
simplicity, setting the as-is will also set the previous to-be, and
setting the to-be will also set the following as-is shape.
- Added "To Selective"/"To Workplan" conversion options to the pop up
menu on the machining program.
Changes in release 7.34 (2009-09-11)
- Change in the handling of default units when creating tolerances.
Changes in release 7.33 (2009-09-11)
- Code export now uses the digits of precision rather than a fixed
epsilon to detect and suppress repeated coordinates on Fanuc,
Siemens, Haas, Okuma, Heidenhain, and MDSI.
- Fanuc and Haas output now explicitly declare units using G20/G21
- Added support for Siemens G700/G710 unit declarations.
Changes in release 7.32 (2009-09-10)
- Corrected issue with workplan setup placement that was resulting in
an error message "Could not find workpiece for setup"
- Improved tool axis interpolation in the graphics display animation
to use Z axis as axis of rotation where possible when and we have a
180 degree rotation of the tool axis.
Changes in release 7.31 (2009-09-09)
- Corrected problem saving workingstep names containg quotes. Double
quote appearing in XML attributes were not properly escaped, causing
problems when read back in.
- Corrected gcode output of arc moves when a setup transformation is
present. In all output styles, transformations were not applied
properly to the Z axis of trimmed circles, and when outputting MDSI
style lathe code they were being applied when they should not have
been to the tool axis direction.
- Extended Siemens output for G2/G3 to emit A3/B3/C3 axis directions
to specify the plane of the circle when not in the XY plane.
Changes in release 7.30 (2009-09-08)
- Transparency is now handled correctly when a workpiece is shared as
the as-is and to-be shape of two different workingsteps.
- Corrected an error in the display of as-is/to-be shapes that could
mistakenly hide a workpiece to when switching between steps if it is
the as-is of one workingstep and the to-be in another.
- Extended DLL api with four new functions to the Cursor so that you
can change the feed of every toolpath in a workingstep that uses the
same technology and/or every toolpath in a project. Same for speed.
Changes in release 7.29 (2009-09-04)
- Improved the display of datums when multiple workpiece models are
present. Datums are now shown on any as-is or to-be workpiece as
well as on the Part Properties, and the show/hide checkboxes match
the datums on the workpieces being shown.
- The enable/disable workingstep checkboxes on the "Workplans" tab are
now initialized properly when reading a new file or inserting NC
functions or other elements into the workplan.
- Enhanced workpiece import to more accurately determine a unit
(English or Metric) for the imported part.
Changes in release 7.28 (2009-09-03)
- The graphics display now animates the tool movement when switching
between workingsteps, including setup changes.
- Fixed the "Setup | Workpiece Properties" command under to work with
MasterCAM block data.
Changes in release 7.27 (2009-09-02)
- In the code generation, transformations were applied in the wrong
order when a setup placement on a workplan and a toolpath placement
on a workingstep were both present in the data. The code was
applying the toolpath transform to the setup one, rather than the
other way around. This affected the Boxy data and should now be
- Fixed case where we were not transforming the toolaxis when the
toolpath did not provide an axis curve, was just passing through the
default 0,0,1 axis untransformed.
- Added "Program Comments" box to the CNC export dialog giving the
ability to control the level of commenting in the output, with
options for workingsteps, toolpaths, even points.
- Make Datum now clears the selection when the dialog is first brought
up to avoid adding unintended faces to the datum, and also clears it
after creating the datum so that the face color can be seen. Made
similar changes to Make Surface Tolerance.
Changes in release 7.26 (2009-08-26)
- Added a new line on the tool tab to display the workpiece shape
associated with each tool.
- Added ability to import and export tool shapes from the pop-up menu
on the tool tab. Now shows an overwrite confirmation when importing
on top of an existing tool shape. Also checked for exporting a tool
shape when one does not exist.
- Changed the handling of setups to use the setup origin rather than a
workpiece placement to specify the global machine transform.
- First attempts at applying setup transform during CNC code export.
Changes in release 7.25 (2009-08-26)
- Internal development checkpoint
Changes in release 7.24 (2009-08-21)
- The Feed/Speed window now shows feed per tooth when displaying all
of the feeds for a workingstep or individual tool.
- Dialog prompting whether to save your changes now gives the option
to cancel whatever action prompted the dialog (application close,
open a new file, etc)
Changes in release 7.23 (2009-08-20)
- Toolbar on the workplans tab controls editing operations. A lock
unlock button enables or disables editing. A second button turns
the checkboxes on or off for selecting workingsteps.
- The Edit menu on the toolbar allows new worplans or NC functions to
be added to the program and provides another way to edit the setup
- Program can be reordered by dragging and dropping workingsteps into
their new location. Items can be moved up or down or deleted using
buttons on the toolbar. See the docs for a full description at:
- Improved behavior of "Import | Tool Shape" so that the tool to
import the shape for is found by looking at the currently selected
workingstep, or the tool selected on the tool properties page.
- Fixed problem where tools were not displaying after CL import. Also
corrected geometry refresh problem after workpieces import.
- Improvements to numerous icons throughout the application.
Changes in release 7.22 (2009-08-19)
- Internal development checkpoint
Changes in release 7.21 (2009-08-18)
- Internal development checkpoint
Changes in release 7.20 (2009-08-17)
- Internal development checkpoint
Changes in release 7.19 (2009-08-12)
- Fixed another problem with the AnegC tool kinematics.
Changes in release 7.18 (2009-08-11)
- Fixed problem with the A-C tool kinematics that shows up when
simulating the Boxy part.
Changes in release 7.17 (2009-08-11)
- Corrected crash at startup when restoring the Feed/Speed pane.
- Added an "Edit Setup Placement" option to the right-click context
menu for workplans. This will add, remove, or modify the setup
placement on any workplan.
Changes in release 7.16 (2009-08-10)
- Added different icon in the machine program tab to indicate
workplans that have a setup associated with them.
- Corrected problem editing the project name on the program tab.
Changes in release 7.15 (2009-07-31)
- Corrected a crash when displaying feeds and speeds for nested
workplans and some initialization problems could cause the Feed
window to come up blank.
Changes in release 7.14 (2009-07-31)
- Corrected some problems that occurred up when the Feed window was
toggled between shown and hidden. The feed window is now restored
to the last known shown/hidden state on startup.
Changes in release 7.13 (2009-07-30)
- Feeds and Speeds can now be viewed and edited. Click on the "Feeds"
toolbar button or select "View | Feeds and Speeds" to bring up the
feed window. Using a dropdown menu at the top of the pane, you can
see the feeds/speeds used by a particular tool, workingstep, or
workplan. Values can be edited for the entire program or changes
can be scoped to a particular tool or workingstep. We have also
added a how-to article explaining feed speed editing at:
- Changed the comments at program start for all known styles that
support comments so that they include the STEP-NC source filename
before the timestamp.
- Errors when saving, such as a write protected file, are now being
properly reported to the user.
- The size of tool windows is restored between sessions when they are
made smaller than original size. Previously, size was only restored
when they were larger. Default sizes are still restored if the
window is shrunk below 25% of the preferred size.
Changes in release 7.12 (2009-07-29)
- Internal development checkpoint
Changes in release 7.11 (2009-07-27)
- Internal development checkpoint
Changes in release 7.10 (2009-07-16)
- Added Speed and Feed overview window to examine all speeds and feeds
used by a program, highlight workingsteps that use them, and display
toolpaths which use them.
- Added alternative Trunnion AC machine model that prefers to tilt the
table in the negative A direction rather than the positive A.
- Added limited support for workplan setups.
- Corrected name editing in the workingstep tree so that it no longer
includes the object ID in the initial text.
Changes in release 7.9 (2009-07-15)
- Internal development checkpoint
Changes in release 7.8 (2009-07-15)
- Internal development checkpoint
Changes in release 7.7 (2009-07-13)
- Fixed issue where the nudge increment for Adjust Mounting Location
would end up as zero. The Trunion AC table is in meters, so nudges
were a fraction of a meter and we were rounding to integer values.
Changes in release 7.6 (2009-07-10)
- Added ability to change the location of the workpiece on a machine
tool model during simulation. The Adjust Mounting Location dialog
on the Motion toolbar menu provides X, Y, and Z controls to shift
the part from the center table default location. Values are in the
units of the machine tool model.
Changes in release 7.5 (2009-07-02)
- Added Setup | Custom Tool Settings dialog so that users can specify
flute counts or machine maximums that differ from the nominal values
in the STEP-NC data. This information is only kept for the session
and will be used to adjust feeds for different machine or tools.
- Added "Adjust feed based on actual tools" option to the CNC export
dialog. This scales the feed to maintain constant chip load if the
actual tool flute count difers from the planned one. The ".cnclog"
file notes where and why each individual feed has been scaled.
Changes in release 7.4 (2009-06-29)
- Corrected user interface bug with Machine Parameters that was
swapping the spindle feed and spindle power values.
Changes in release 7.3 (2009-06-29)
- Changed the handling of facetting and rendering of tools and
workpieces to avoid partial draws during machining animation
playback while still remaining responsive to user input.
- Added an advisory message when changing the default unit.
- Updated Setup | Machine Parameter so that the expected units are
displayed even if no values were previously set.
Changes in release 7.2 (2009-06-27)
- Added flute count to the parameters on the tool pane. Nominal
values can now be edited via a right click popup for flute count,
diameter, length and radius.
- Added Setup | Machine Parameter to set the expected machine
capabilities for the program (Max fees, spindle, power, etc)
Changes in release 7.1 (2009-06-15)
- Modified the handling of datum colors so they do not conflict with
the selected face color.
- The annotations on/off checkbox now controls tool annotations as
well, simplified handling internally so that it is controlled by a
separate scenegraph attribute.
Changes in release 7.0 (2009-06-12)
- Reworked license key handling so that machining partners can use a
read-only free download version of the application to view STEP-NC
data sets, simulate, and do basic CNC export. New data sets can be
created in memory, but only development partners with an STEP-NC
Machine license key can save them, use custom CNC interfaces, or
other advanced operations.
- Changed main form initialization so that palettes are no longer
restored before the main window is up. Previously they would appear
while the splash screen was still present.
- Added Help | Latest News and Updates to link back to the website.
- Swapped the order of the origin and target parameters when calling
the Align Workpieces by Datum or Face operations.
- Tools are now shown using the color information provided by the STEP
file, rather than overriding it with the default gold.
- Fixed the "center on tool" operation so that it now works in all
motion modes rather than just the virutal gantry.
- Added support for assembly data where the shape_rep_relation does not
directly reference the two shape_reps of the NAUOs product definition.
Instead there is another shape_rep_relationship between the two. This
occurred in Alibre/Airbus data.
- Added initial simulator support to allow the workpiece to be moved
around the table.
- Revised the placement dialog so that it is now resizable, which
should make things clearer when dealing with long numbers. Also
made the logic robust if called for a nonexistant workpiece,
rawpiece, or fixture.
Changes in release 6.25 (2009-06-01)
- Fixed problem where general points were turning to the default color.
- Updated drawing of machine simulator to insure the WP is drawn first,
then the tool, then the machine.
- Corrected problem with buffer switching where the clip region was getting
retained when it should not have been.
- Fixed bounding boxes initialization/validation bug that was preventing
AP238 models w/o workpieces from displaying.
- Graphics display now stays responsive during faceting operations.
In this mode, an hourglass cursor is displayed, double buffering is
disabled, the Windows message queue is periodically processed.
Changes in release 6.24 (2009-05-15)
- Extra display points (geometric sets) are now turned on or off with
the rest of the annotation display.
- Improved preservation of view state when flipping between simulation
models and the product panes.
- Fixed reload issues that was causing a crash when a workpiece was
- Made the toolpath color assignment deterministic. Also, eliminated
grey as a choice for toolpaths.
Changes in release 6.23 (2009-05-12)
- Fixed regression in graphics panning behavior.
Changes in release 6.22 (2009-05-11)
- Added toolpath picking notification.
Changes in release 6.21 (2009-05-08)
- Added block number upper limit capability to wrap sequence numbers
that exceed an upper value, such as N99999 for Okuma.
- Added support for Okuma output using O238 and OTCG macros for the
program start and cleanup as well as tool changes.
- Internal improvements to facetting.
Changes in release 6.20 (2009-05-05)
- Added override to turn annotation display on and off.
- Internal improvements to facetting and interference checking.
Changes in release 6.19 (2009-05-01)
- Annotations are now displayed with presentation colors if given.
- When replacing a workpiece, any transform applied to the old one is
added to the new one.
- Added option on the popup menu for workplans to go through all
workingsteps and associate with the closest faces. The feature tab
is also now refreshed properly after adding faces to a workingstep.
Changes in release 6.18 (2009-04-28)
- Initial implementation of interference checking for the machine
simulator. Enable and disable using the "Collision" toolbar button.
A machine tool model must be in use or else it is ignored.
- Improved shell integration so that double clicking on a stepnc file
will now launch STEP-NC Machine.
- Added a "Browse Simple" option to the p28view utility that disables
usedin information, popup display of attributes, highlighting of the
performance on large files.
- Changed p28view so it no longer self-registers its file type in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER every run because this causes problems with
outdated paths shadowing the proper paths in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Updated the installer to clear those old paths, so things should
work better for anyone who was experiencing that problem.
- Fixed graphics regression where tool movement was out of sync with
the machine simulation.
Changes in release 6.17 (2009-04-21)
- Extended geometry display of workpieces and machine tool models to
show the presentation information found in the underlying STEP data.
Changes in release 6.16 (2009-04-14)
- Added G90 and clear work offset to Okuma startup. Added G56 tool
offset in Z to Okuma tool changes.
Changes in release 6.15 (2009-04-10)
- General Point Sets are now displayed on their associated product
geometry. Datum targets are also now displayed with both Workplan
and Part Property tabs.
- Extended Okuma CNC output to use G15 to specify work offset and
G20/G21 to describe whether inch/mm units are used.
- Extended CNC output for all machines with a descriptive comment
before each tool change listing the tool parameters in the STEP-NC
data (length, diameter, etc).
- Added Setup | Placement | Align by faces option to move workpieces
around by selecting two sets of three faces to align.
- Added Setup | Placement | Align by datums option to move workpieces
around by selecting two sets of three datums to align.
- Added Drag And Drop reordering to the face selection lists.
- Updated toolbars and the main window menu strip to support "click
through" when the window does not have focus. Previously, a toolbar
button or menu needed two clicks, once to give focus to the owning
window and a second time to activate the button/menu.
Changes in release 6.14 (2009-04-07)
- The add/remove face and datum creation dialogs no longer lose focus
when selecting geometry in the view window. Added a toolbar to both
dialogs to simplify moving between pick and rotate/pan modes.
- Updated the Define Surface Texture and Define Tolerance Dialogs with
the improved interface for selecting faces, and reworked to create
with multiple faces rather than having to add faces afterwards.
Added a toolbar to simplify moving between pick and rotate/pan.
- Set target cpu type of the .NET assembly to be x86 to force the COM
components to be run on WOW64 on XP 64. Otherwise, COM can not find
the registration for the factory and throws error 80040154. Likely
also the case for Vista 64.
Changes in release 6.13 (2009-04-03)
- Improved the add/remove face user interface so that deletion is
clearer and selecting faces in the geometry viewer is reflected in
the list. Also reorganized the code so this interface can be used
elsewhere, such as in tolerance/datum creation.
- Reworked Add Datum interface to allow datums with multiple faces to
be created rather than having to add faces afterwards. Now supports
datums with labels other than ABC.
- The workpiece properties dialog now displays and sets material for
both the workpiece and rawpiece.
Changes in release 6.12 (2009-03-25)
- Improvements to handling datums. Datum deletion now works properly.
When creating datums, least material condition is now supported. On
the part property pane, selecting a datum or datum target will now
switch the geometry display to the relevant part.
- Corrects geometry refresh issue.
Changes in release 6.11 (2009-03-20)
- Fixed inadvertant removal of AP203e2 dimension and presentation
information when importing workpieces.
Changes in release 6.10 (2009-03-20)
- Datums and datum targets are now displayed on the Part Properties
tab along with the tolerances for each workpiece. Faces can be
added or removed using the context menu. Deleting datums using the
context menu is enabled but does not work correctly at the moment
- Presentation and drafting annotations are now properly categorized
into application objects and saved in the STEP-NC file.
- Toolpath rendering is now deferred until first access which will
improve load speed.
- Bounding boxes now reset when switching between machine models.
- Corrected issues with tools disappearing when switching back and
forth between the parts property tab.
- The facetting tolerances are now adjusted for better quality on
small parts without slowing larger parts.
Changes in release 6.9 (2009-03-12)
- Faceting of STEP models is now done the first time they are drawn
rather than at load time. This should result in faster load times
in files with many different models, but occasional pauses when
showing new models.
- Fixed issue where tool was sometimes rendered far too high a
resolution resulting in slow behavior.
- Fixed issue where moving parts of machine tool models were unpickable.
- Fixed crash when processing (illegal) toolpath curves consisting of
a single point.
Changes in release 6.8 (2009-03-10)
- Various internal changes stemming from a scene graph reorganization
and changes in the color/transparency state handling.
- Corrected odd message overflow in the status line when canceling the
Changes in release 6.7 (2009-03-09)
- Added support for tool reference direction added by the AP238
technical corrigendum. The geometric display will orient the tool
properly. The GoToXYZ_IJK_REF_ABC() function has been added to the
DLL API to create this type of data.
- Inproved geometry display of trimmed b-spline curves and made the
ellipse processing more tolerant of marginal data.
- Corrected exception at startup time if the machine model directory
was not present.
- Many context and other data creation fixes prompted by external
testing as well as internal testing with ap238check. Updated the
cross section area parameters use a 7D geometric representation
context instead of a generic one. Changed the CUTTER CONTACT and
CUTTER LOCATION TRAJECTORY surface_normal to use unitless 3D context
like the tool axis instead of units.
- Changed the following properties to use a geometric unit context:
- Changed the following symbolic properties so the descriptive rep
items are now treated as constants and reused:
Changes in release 6.6 (2009-03-02)
- Fixes the units issue for workingstep planes, and setup origins.
- Makes sure a default toolpath feature is defined for workingsteps
finished by a change in spindle speed.
Changes in release 6.5 (2009-02-26)
- Fixed crash when writing entity instances with no attributes, such
as the empty COLOUR() entities used in some presentation info.
- Corrected unexpected exit when trying to read a completely empty
(zero byte) file.
Changes in release 6.4 (2009-02-19)
- Performance improvements when saving large files.
Changes in release 6.3 (2009-02-16)
- The Hide Selected and Transparent Selected options can now be used
to control parts of the machine tool models.
- Machining times in the tooltip popups are now reported in the most
appropriate unit based on their size (days, hours, minutes, or secs)
rather than always in seconds.
- Renamed machine-model.xml to trunnion.xml
- Status messages from the geometry control are now displayed.
Changes in release 6.2 (2009-02-13)
- Added movie capture. Use the movie menu in the lower corner of the
main window to capture either live movies or tool motion animations.
Tool motion animation capture a frame after each move in workingstep
playback, while live mode captures multiple frames per second.
- The executable now accepts a filename on the command line.
- Now includes machine model for Northwood BC Gantry Router, as well
as DMU nutating BC machine, and a trunnion AC table machine.
- The overall tool length for tools may now be changed on the tools
tab by right-clicking on the length and selecting "Edit Overall Tool
Length" from the pop-up menu.
- Now building executable with /NXCOMPAT:NO to avoid issues running
ActiveX controls on Vista. This will prevent an error of the form
"Windowless ActiveX controls are not supported" during startup on
Vista machines as well as XP machines with DEP enabled.
Changes in release 6.1 (2009-02-05)
- Changed helix output for siemens controls so that the center
coordinates are tagged as absolute values.
Changes in release 6.0 (2009-02-03)
- Implemented nutating BC machine support, multiple machine
simulations, and the ability to switch between them.
- Added initial support for AP203e2 drawing annotations.
- Improved facetting of geometry.
- Changed handling of show/hide and transparent options on pop-up menu
to support geometry from different files (for machine models).
- Now requires an STEP-NC Machine v6 license key.
Changes in release 5.56 (2009-01-02)
- Corrects problem switching to the machine model. Candidate for
STEP-NC Machine 6.0 release
Changes in release 5.55 (2008-12-31)
- Interim release for debugging machine mode. Exits in the DLL when
switching to the machine model.
- Updates to include machine tool model and simulation. Only one
model is currently used, located in the install directory under the
Changes in release 5.54 (2008-12-22)
- Updated DLL to improve experimental depth estimation function.
Changes in release 5.53 (2008-12-19)
- Added experimental depth estimation function to the popup menu on
workplans in the part properties tab.
Changes in release 5.52 (2008-12-12)
- Fixed divide by zero in time calculations for empty workplan.
- Refresh geometry view window when deleting a workplan and reworked
other refresh events.
- Other geometry fixes.
Changes in release 5.51 (2008-12-04)
- All workpieces should now be viewable on the part properties tab,
and the workpiece and toolpath display should switch properly when
moving between tabs.
- Reworked internal change notification so that value changes should
be more quickly and consistently reflected between the tab panes.
Corrected numerous cases where changes would not propogate, such as
the changed name of a workingstep not showing up on the tools tab.
Changes in release 5.50 (2008-11-26)
- Extended popup menu on the part properties pane to delete workpieces
- The root element of the workplans pane is now the Project rather
than the main workplan. Also changed the icon used for the project.
- Removed the "Workplan Toolpaths" entry from the View menu because it
was no longer being used.
Changes in release 5.49 (2008-11-24)
- Added Motion toolbar menu to control the tool and part motion during
- NC Function display state now saved properly between runs.
- Changed AS-IS and TO-BE checkboxes to "Raw" and Finished"
Changes in release 5.48 (2008-11-21)
- Replaced use of GetAllFaces with GetStatusFaces
- Internal geometry fixes.
Changes in release 5.47 (2008-11-17)
- Added Tool Contact pane which examines the simulation data and flags
when the tool comes in contact with the part.
Changes in release 5.46 (2008-11-10)
- DLL update to correct assembly placement problems.
Changes in release 5.45 (2008-11-07)
- Changed default unit code to make sure that it saves the current
state in the registry.
- Added export as CC1 menu option.
- Part Properties pane now displays the workpieces in the file by
themselves. The tool workpieces do not turn on at the moment but
all others show fine.
Changes in release 5.44 (2008-11-03)
- Merged the AS-IS/Stock and TO-BE/Part checkboxes and updated the
logic to better handle the changing parts.
- Part Properties tab now includes all workpieces in the tab. The
main workpiece and rawpiece are shown first, then all other pieces,
fixtures and tools are shown in subcategories.
Changes in release 5.43 (2008-10-21)
- Many graphics improvements (bounding box for trimmed ellipses,
support for poly_loop trim curves, non advanced_face faces, trimmed
NURBS as trim curves, quasi_uniform_surface NURBS surfaces,
surface_curve, shapes w/o associated product_definitions)
Changes in release 5.42 (2008-09-29)
- Tolerance values now displayed with units and more managable
precision. Now updated when current values are changed on the
- Corrected popup display of optimized times in the workplan window.
- Improved performance on display of probing (and other) workingsteps
by deferring update of non-visible feature, tolerance, tool, and
Changes in release 5.41 (2008-09-26)
- Changed import/export filename conventions for the probing results.
- The toolpath display for workplans now includes all nested
workingsteps and shows/hides enabled or disabled workingsteps.
Changes in release 5.40 (2008-09-26)
- Reworked probing menu with options to export initial data and then
import and export result data. Another option controls the units
assumed for the data.
- Added ability to replace a workingstep using MAX5 APT data. Use the
popup menu on the executable tree.
Changes in release 5.39 (2008-09-25)
- Added ability to enable/disable workingsteps for export. Use the
popup menu on the executable tree to turn on the checkboxes and then
select or unselect as needed.
- Added ability to force the use of base feeds (instead of optimized
speed curves) by workingsteps during export. Use the popup menu on
the executable tree to select or unselect as needed.
- Changes to boeing-fanuc style to force IJK components.
- Added a siemens-traori style to handle Siemens TCP control by
calling TRAORI(1) directly without any of the WSMODEON/OFF macros.
Changes in release 5.38 (2008-09-23)
- Added support for Custom code export styles in the export dialog.
Changes in release 5.37 (2008-09-22)
- Datum targets are now refreshed correctly when updating geometry.
- Small improvement to tool pane reload times.
- Corrected issue with highlit text for probe results. Also updated
the probing pane with an "Evaluate" button that computes the state
of any associated tolerances.
- Turning parts on and off now toggles the entire product, which means
that setup placements are handled better.
Changes in release 5.36 (2008-09-12)
- Added toolbar buttons to display the standard views for top/bottom,
right/left, front/back, and isometric. The display can also switch
between Othographic and Perspective display.
- Changed handling of C axis on Heiedenhain to eliminate sudden
wraparound. The axis is no longer limited to -180 to +180, but
moves the shortest distance, possibly winding up to multiple full
Changes in release 5.35 (2008-09-10)
- Added visualization for setups.
Changes in release 5.34 (2008-09-08)
- Tool direction vectors are now properly transformed by the
destination transform. Previously, only the tool location was being
- Configuration files extended for setups.
Changes in release 5.33 (2008-09-03)
- Added ability to make selected items in the graphics display
transparent using the right-click popup menu.
- Corrected the handling of workingsteps with toolpath placements in
the tool position window.
Changes in release 5.32 (2008-09-02)
- Added ability to hide selected items in the graphics display using
the right-click popup menu on the graphics window. There is also a
show all menu option that restores the hidden items.
- Added ability to temporarily color selected items in the graphics
display using the right-click popup menu on the graphics window.
- Stock, as-is, to-be, and delta shapes are now displayed in
transparency when shown together with the workpiece.
- Updates to CNC interface to handle workingsteps with placements to
give a new origin for their toolpaths.
Changes in release 5.31 (2008-08-29)
- Corrected handling of datum on/off for datum targets
- Stock now displayed in transparency when shown together with the
Changes in release 5.30 (2008-08-29)
Changes in release 5.29 (2008-08-28)
- Improvements to the graphics engine for better visualization.
- Initial visualization support for datum targets.
Changes in release 5.28 (2008-08-26)
- Corrections to AS-IS, TO-BE, and Delta in-process geometry.
Changes in release 5.27 (2008-08-22)
- Added capability to import and display AS-IS, TO-BE, and Delta
in-process geometry for workingsteps.
- Initial support for datums defined by targets.
- Many improvements to the graphics engine for better visualization.
Changes in release 5.26 (2008-07-29)
- DLL API changes and fixes.
Changes in release 5.25 (2008-07-22)
- Changed feature properties to use tolerance version of GetFeatureAll
- DLL API changes and fixes.
Changes in release 5.24 (2008-07-21)
- DLL API changes and fixes. Export workpiece updated to include a
wp_id. ExportRawpiece and ExportFixture deleted. Tolerance
algorithm for finding features updated to ignore toolpath features
with no faces. Define datum function updated to fix bug.
Changes in release 5.23 (2008-07-18)
- Corrected some issues with import of APT 5-axis arcs.
- Updated import menu to make it clearer that the Catia, Pro/E and UG
entries import APT from those systems.
Changes in release 5.22 (2008-07-17)
- DLL API changes to support as-is and to-be workpieces.
Changes in release 5.21 (2008-07-14)
- Improved face hilighting when selecting items on on the new feature
- Corrected display of workingstep names after editing them on the
workplan tree tab.
Changes in release 5.20 (2008-07-03)
- Added feature tree tab to the main window.
- Graphics improvements.
Changes in release 5.19 (2008-07-02)
- Added work offset support for the Fanuc and Haas outputs.
- Disabled the More/Less option on the G-code export dialog.
Changes in release 5.18 (2008-06-30)
- Refinements to Haas import and export.
- Graphics improvements.
Changes in release 5.17 (2008-06-27)
- Eliminated the configuration file.
Changes in release 5.16 (2008-06-25)
- On the "workplans" tab, the names of workingsteps, workplans, and
the workpiece can now be changed using the right-click menu.
- Rendering improvements.
Changes in release 5.15 (2008-06-24)
- Corrected issues with deleting workplans.
- Internal DLL simplification.
Changes in release 5.14 (2008-06-24)
- Internal debugging release.
Changes in release 5.13 (2008-06-18)
- Internal graphics updates.
Changes in release 5.12 (2008-06-17)
- Extended the cross section parameters pane to show values calculated
directly from the simulation data. The cross section pane now shows
stored parameters, calculated original parameters, and calculated
proposed TC parameters.
- Corrected issue when saving STEP-NC data as Part21 rather than XML.
Changes in release 5.11 (2008-06-13)
- Rendering improvements to reduce the gaps between facets, improve
speed, and calculate the senses of patches correctly.
Changes in release 5.10 (2008-06-03)
- Internal graphics updates.
Changes in release 5.9 (2008-05-22)
- Changed tooltip display for operation time and distance so that it
is initialized once rather than for every mouse event.
- Internal graphics updates.
Changes in release 5.8 (2008-05-15)
- Added total operation time and distance for operations and workplans
to the setup sheet display as well as to pop-up tool tips on the
Changes in release 5.7 (2008-05-12)
- Added new export style for APT text output.
- Added new option to probing plan creation to control the use of the
clearance plane between probing operations.
- Visualization improvements.
Changes in release 5.6 (2008-05-05)
Changes in release 5.5 (2008-04-17)
Changes in release 5.4 (2008-04-10)
Changes in release 5.3 (2008-04-07)
Changes in release 5.2 (2008-03-28)
- When creating tolerances, datums can now be given as a string rather
than by using checkboxes.
- Added radial, height, width, length, thickness, angle, and curved
size dimensions and also curved location dimensions to the list of
creatable GD&T items.
Changes in release 5.1 (2008-03-24)
- Extended the Create Tolerance dialog to also handle concentricity,
cylindricity, line profile, parallelism, roundness, straightness,
Changes in release 5.0 (2008-03-20)
- Internal tolerance improvements.
- Now requires an STEP-NC Machine v5 license key.
Changes in release 4.38 (2008-03-07)
- The Cross Section parameters pane now shows a bitmap image of the
tool cross section contact area. This is only shown if simulation
data is present.
Changes in release 4.37 (2008-03-06)
- Tool advice no longer a delta, now recommended final value.
- Corrected issue with lower limits when creating linear distance
and diameter size tolerances
Changes in release 4.36 (2008-03-06)
- Tool advice delta is now applied to current value if present, or the
nominal value if not.
Changes in release 4.35 (2008-03-06)
- Tool advice is now displayed as a delta value and advice is given
after tolerances are entered, but not before.
- Now queueing G40 for issue with the next move.
- Restructured surface normal analysis and G41/42 output for cutter
contact toolpaths to be more robust in the face of corners and other
cases where the normal changes between paths.
Changes in release 4.34 (2008-03-05)
Changes in release 4.33 (2008-03-03)
- First workingstep was still displayed twice during automated
playback when starting simulation from a workplan. Previously
corrected the same problem when manually clicking Next to move
through the workplan.
- The value of the simulation speed slider is now preserved between
Changes in release 4.32 (2008-03-03)
- Updated simulation speed so that full speed is now much quicker.
- Now refreshing the workplan, part and tool property panes on
save to resynchronize with changed ids.
- Added Export | Tool Status XML menu entry.
- Fixed problem in "Edit Faces" and other face-oriented dialogs (make
tolerance, make datum) where picking a face would not be recognized
if the Position window had never been displayed during the app run.
Changes in release 4.31 (2008-02-29)
- Added Simulate toolbar and View menu entries to show/hide the
display of in-process material removal. Currently requires a
pre-computed <filename>.sim file in the same directory as the
STEP-NC data file.
- Added a Tool checkbox to the Part, Stock, and Fixture boxes on the
model window. When checked, tool geometry is shown. When cleared,
only a tool axis arrow is shown.
Changes in release 4.30 (2008-02-28)
- Reset tolerances now resets the current values for surface textures
- Added CNC export support for variable feed within a toolpath
controlled by a speedprofile curve.
Changes in release 4.29 (2008-02-25)
- Allow setting current value of surface textures on the Tool
- Refresh the tool and tolerance properties panes when adding or
removing faces from a workingstep.
Changes in release 4.28 (2008-02-25)
- Extended the Edit Faces dialog with Add Nearby and Remove All
- Updated Tool and Part Property panes to handle current values for
Changes in release 4.27 (2008-02-22)
- Eliminated double display of first workingstep when starting
simulation from a workplan.
- Now installing cutting_tool_schema_arm compiled schema file so that
ISO 13399 files can be read.
- Added dialog to display the parameters associated with a feature.
Simply double click on a feature in the feature tab or right click
on a workingstep and select Feature Properties.
- The tool list now shows the name of the tool geometry if present
- Surface texture now shows associated tools on the Part Properties
Changes in release 4.26 (2008-02-21)
- The faces associated with a workingstep feature or a tolerance can
be changed by right clicking on a workingstep or tolerance and then
selecting Edit Faces. Click on new faces to add, select a face in
the list and press Delete to remove.
- Added Tolerance | Apply All Tool Advice menu entry.
- Geometry visualization improvements.
Changes in release 4.25 (2008-02-20)
- Internal fixes to the DLL.
Changes in release 4.24 (2008-02-19)
- Advised values for tool diameter/length/corner radius now refresh
whenever a the measured value for a tolerance is changed. The reset
tolerance and tool menu commands also refresh the geometry colors.
- The tool properties are now shown on the top level, and the status
of recommended and current values are shown with icons.
- Corrected issue with popup context menu on Tool property pane.
- The initial zoom when opening a file containing only toolpaths is
now set to show the global bounding box. The geometric rendering is
also more stable, several memory issues have been corrected.
- Save file no longer reloads all of the geometry afterwards.
- Improvements to the traceabilty output and updated Siemens 810
output to adjust the $TC_DP compensation parameters for corner
radius when the STEP-NC file contains a current value for it.
Changes in release 4.23 (2008-02-18)
- Corrected doubled spindle commands when the operation has a
different technology from the first toolpath in the operation
- Added output option for traceabilty timing. Only available with
Siemens output. Check the "Use Traceability Extensions" box on the
export options dialog.
- The tool properties for diameter/length/corner radius now show the
current and advised values, with more detail in a pop-up tool tip.
- If a tolerance appears in multiple places on the Tool Properties
pane, all occurrences will be refreshed when the current value is
- Added Reset Tolerance and Reset Tool Properties operations to the
Changes in release 4.22 (2008-02-15)
- When setting current tool parameters, if a suggested length,
diameter, or corner radius can be computed from the current
tolerance values it will be presented in the edit box.
- When specifying a current value for a tolerance or tool property,
numbers can now be specified in US-style input (C Locale) as well
as the local formats.
- The tolerance or tool property values is now restored properly when
canceling an edit on the tool properties pane.
Changes in release 4.21 (2008-02-14)
- You can now enter current values for tolerances or certain tool
parameters by selecting the tolerance or tool parameter in the tree
list and then either right-click and select the"Edit Current Value"
popup menu, or just press the enter key.
- Updated Siemens 810 output to adjust the $TC_DP compensation
parameters for length and diameter upon tool changes when the
STEP-NC file contains current values for these.
- File | Export | Create Script now remembers the previously used
Changes in release 4.20 (2008-02-12)
- The Workplan/Part/Tool panes now highlight faces based on the pane
selected and the item within that page. The tool pane now shows the
workingsteps of each tool.
- Added File menu entries to Import/Export both ISO 13399 tool data
and creation scripts for assembling STEP-NC files.
Changes in release 4.19 (2008-02-07)
- Updates to cutter contact code generation for transitions from
cutter location to cutter contact paths. Also more robust when
given unrealistic numeric values.
Changes in release 4.18 (2008-02-05)
- Extending tool and part properties pane to show relationship between
tolerances and the tools used to achieve them.
Changes in release 4.17 (2008-02-04)
- Adding tool properties pane.
Changes in release 4.16 (2008-02-01)
- Now exports CNC code for helixes on all controls, Siemens and
Heidenhain use distinct notations, while Fanuc, Okuma, and Haas
appear to share the same notation.
Changes in release 4.15 (2008-01-29)
- Update to address visualization and CNC code export for arcs
and helixes described by via point.
Changes in release 4.14 (2008-01-22)
- Update the CNC export so that tool change now clears the position
and issues a move to the complete XYZ start point of the next
toolpath. Previously the codes expected that after the toolchange
the tool was located at the endpoint of the previous workingstep and
only issued moves for axes that changed in the first point of the
Changes in release 4.13 (2008-01-21)
- DLL update to address null tool string issue.
Changes in release 4.12 (2008-01-18)
- Added some diagnostic code to the workingstep and tolerance trees
- Moved the Define Datums and Tolerance operations to a new top level
Tolerances menu and added a mew Define Surface Texture operation.
Changes in release 4.11 (2008-01-17)
- The tool pane has been restored and you can now import and export
tools. If a workplan is highlit, then the tool pane can be used to
select the tool to import/export, otherwise import/export the tool
for the current workingstep.
- If you select a face while not running a simulation, the position
and type of the face are shown in the position window. The actual
position of the click on the face is shown in the status bar.
- Improved bounding box computation and corrected display issue with
cutter contact toolpaths and tolerance caching issues that caused
read problems with some files.
Changes in release 4.10 (2008-01-14)
- The Part Properties pane now displays tolerances and surface finish
descriptions for Rawpiece, Fixture, and tools as well. Just select
faces from any displayed shape when creating tolerances and they
will be properly associated.
- Icons for the various feature types are now correctly displayed on
the feature tab.
- Now recognizes micrometer and other surface texture units.
- Handles +/- values so that the minus values are actually negative.
Changes in release 4.9 (2008-01-14)
- The File | Export functions now export AP203e2 with tolerances for
Workpiece, Rawpiece, and Fixture.
Changes in release 4.8 (2008-01-10)
- Added the Probing | Define Datum and Probing | Define Tolerance menu
entries to pick faces on the part and create datums or tolerances
- Base feed rate is now shown separately on the position pane.
- Now creates a new project at application start.
- When creating a new project any prior geometry is now reset.
- When reading in workpiece geometry to an otherwise empty file, the
Part Properties page will be shown.
Changes in release 4.7 (2008-01-07)
- DLL improvements to handle plus/minus tolerances encoded using both
qualified_representation_item and Part 47 notation.
- Palette windows now reset their position if they would not be
visible on any screen.
- Selecting a workplan in the executable tree now changes the highlit
faces in the geometry window to show any associated features for the
Changes in release 4.6 (2008-01-04)
- Extended the toolpath position and speed window to also show the
feedrate speed profile override. The final speed is shown along
with a percentage indicating how the feed has been adjusted from
the base value.
- Changed the default file format for import/export workpiece,
fixture, etc from .203 to .stp. The underlying DLL can now import
and export AP203e2 tolerances as part of the operation.
- Added the Part Properties pane which can show all of the tolerances
and surface textures in the file and highlight the associated faces.
Changes in release 4.5 (2007-12-17)
- Added "Insert NC Function" to popup menu on the executable tree.
This can create Message functions, Extended NC functions and others
anywhere in the exec tree.
- Added View | Worplan Paths option to show combined toolpaths for
workplans, and always show for probing workplans. Unlike the 3.x
viewer, this shows the tool, and using the Move Tool mode, you can
move the tool around within the combined toolpaths just as you can
for a single toolpath.
- Added link to the STEP Tools home page on the help menu.
Changes in release 4.4 (2007-12-11)
- Restored the context menu to geometry window to set the viewing mode
and restored the context menu on the executable tree for controlling
the display of NC functions, deleting items and showing workpiece
- New DLL api calls for working with cross section data.
Changes in release 4.3 (2007-12-10)
- Corrected some remaining API update issues with setup sheets.
Changes in release 4.2 (2007-12-07)
- Converted to use the updated STEP-NC DLL API
- Added Most Recently Used list to the file menu
- Corrected position and cross-section windows so that they continue
to work when closed with the titlebar box and reopened
Changes in release 4.1 (2007-12-05)
- Center on tool position now works properly.
- Saving a file with a .stp/.step/.p21/.203 extension now writes
as Part 21 text rather than Part 28 XML
- Simplified handling of palette windows. Now they remain visible
when the main window is not active, rather than disappearing and
- Minor visual improvements - Updated splash graphic, handling of
disabled play button, toolbar buttons to turn position and cross
section windows on/off
Changes in release 4.0 (2007-12-03)
- Reimplemented explorer display as .NET application using new
OpenGL graphics interface provided by the STEP-NC DLL.
- Added new click to move tool functionality.
- Added display window for toolpath cross-section information.
Changes in release 3.61 (2007-12-14)
- Saving a file with a .stp/.step/.p21/.203 extension now writes
as Part 21 text rather than Part 28 XML
Changes in release 3.60 (2007-12-10)
- Updating for use with revised STEP-NC DLL API
Changes in release 3.59 (2007-10-26)
- Corrected some issues with probing start points.
- Updated DMIS output so that both "dmis" and "dmis-manual" declare
features and tolerances with the features, added GOTO moves between
the PTMEAS commands in the feature measurement blocks. Added
additional probe declarations and other setup boilerplate at the
start of the program. Generating manual mode initial declarations
for all datums on the workpiece. Also corrected placement of
- Changed DMIS output logic so that it emits moves for any workplan
that contain any nested probes. Workplans that do not contain any
probing are ignored.
Changes in release 3.58 (2007-10-19)
- Corrected some issues with large numbers of speed/feed changes.
- Changed the DMIS manual output so that the position and normal of
the features are transformed properly when the workpiece contains
Changes in release 3.57 (2007-10-18)
Changes in release 3.56 (2007-10-15)
- Changed the DMIS manual output so that we measure known features
directly (PLANE,CYLNDR) rather than create many point features and
construct from them. This simplifies the DMIS tremendously. We
still define point features if the STEP-NC feature is based on an
geometry type that does not map to a DMIS feature.
Changes in release 3.55 (2007-10-11)
- Improvements to APT toolpath import.
- Code generation fixes for Fanuc
Changes in release 3.54 (2007-10-10)
- Added Siemens gcode import.
- Code generation fixes for Fanuc
- Now displays the "selective" element in a program using a special
Changes in release 3.53 (2007-10-05)
- Code generation fixes for Fanuc
Changes in release 3.52 (2007-10-02)
- Corrected the icons for all of the tolerances
- Internal DLL fixes.
Changes in release 3.51 (2007-10-01)
- Select face now displays the geometric coordinates of the face in
the position window.
- Plan probing now allows selection of 1D or 2D moves.
- Tolerance lists now show the datums and material condition.
Changes in release 3.50 (2007-09-28)
- Added plus/minus display for tolerance values.
Changes in release 3.49 (2007-08-28)
- Update to the workingstep display pane to show axial/radial depth
and bottom/side allowances.
Changes in release 3.48 (2007-08-27)
- STEP-NC DLL Update to recognize poorly-formed units.
Changes in release 3.47 (2007-08-23)
- STEP-NC DLL Update to handle data with meter units.
Changes in release 3.46 (2007-07-01)
- Added ability to import Heidenhain probing result files in either
English or French. Probing result import now queries for the result
style rather than trying to guess based on extension.
Changes in release 3.45 (2007-06-25)
- Fixes to Heidenhain iTNC530 BC output.
Changes in release 3.44 (2007-06-15)
- Fixes to Heidenhain iTNC530 output. Line numbers were the default,
but could be turned off by STEP-NC Machine. Now permanent on. Was
not numbering the initial call to G90.
- First attempt at Heidenhain probing output, using the MEASURING
cycle. The maximum move distance is 110% of the nominal value and
the retract after touch is 10% before it rapids back to the start
point. The probing feed is 100mm/min.
Changes in release 3.43 (2007-06-13)
- Fixes to Heidenhain iTNC530 output. Forced block numbers, and
whitespace between control words for improved readability. Tool
change no longer uses M6, and includes a G17. Forced absolute
coordinates at start with G90, as well as another G17, and that
spindle and coolant are off at the end. Switched the spindle speed
S word and M3/M4 order so that the speed now comes first.
Changes in release 3.42 (2007-06-08)
- Added export option for Heidenhain iTNC530 with BC geometry.
Changes in release 3.41 (2007-06-07)
- Added option to display the origin as a blue status volume
- Updated Heidenhain iTNC530 output to correct issues with the AC axis
moves and other things.
Changes in release 3.40 (2007-06-06)
- Create probing operations now support cylindrical surfaces.
- Added options to create angularity, perpendicularity, and surface
profile tolerances when creating probing plans.
- Changed the datum A color so that it no longer conflicts with the
unevaluated tolerance color.
Changes in release 3.39 (2007-05-23)
- Added Export | Siemens 810 option, which is based on the 840 code
but without any of the WS macros.
- Added Export | Heidenhain option for Heidenhain iTNC530 with TCP
programming handled by using M128 on an AC configuration.
Changes in release 3.38 (2007-05-11)
- Added Import | Catia (plate) option to create toolpaths from plate
Changes in release 3.37 (2007-05-08)
- Updates to ESAB output.
- Added a View | Main Workplan Toolpaths option to show all toolpaths
when the main workplan is selected.
Changes in release 3.36 (2007-05-01)
- Corrected Export dialog to avoid bad calls to workpiece probing
transform functions when the transform checkboxes are disabled.
Changes in release 3.35 (2007-04-20)
- Changes to the probing status display to make sure the positions are
- Minor change in DMIS unit declarations.
- Updated ESAB output to eliminate comments, wrap text marking in a
D003/D004 block, and output a feedrate before marking.
Changes in release 3.34 (2007-04-19)
- Added options for DMIS export for inspection. The plain DMIS mode
exports goto commands while the manual mode simply exports the point
and feature definitions.
- Added option to CNC export dialog to allow replanning of probes
based on workpiece complete probing position feedback.
- Changed the probe status volumes to display at the surface point
rather than the start point.
- Added menu option to set the machining start point.
Changes in release 3.33 (2007-04-12)
- Improved ESAB full circle output, extended the output to handle NC
functions for turning the plasma or marking head on/off, controling
bevel cutting as well as marking cycles for scribing geometry, part
labels or other text characters.
Changes in release 3.32 (2007-04-06)
Changes in release 3.31 (2007-04-06)
- Added preliminary support for ESAB code export.
- Added support for display of Extended_NC_function instances used to
represent plate-cutting specific items.
- Added End_Mill_12mm_0rad.stp and End_Mill_12mm_4rad.stp tool models
to the tool library.
Changes in release 3.30 (2007-03-21)
- Added export option to turn block numbering off/on. By default this
is now off.
Changes in release 3.29 (2007-03-09)
- Get Probe Results should now read files with any EOL convention.
Changes in release 3.28 (2007-03-09)
- Added "Disable TCP" option in export dialog.
- Improvements to Siemens probing output.
Changes in release 3.27 (2007-03-09)
- Display of toolpaths transformed by probing results now works.
- Improvements to MSDI lathe output.
Changes in release 3.26 (2007-03-08)
- Temporarily force display the transformed toolpaths at all times.
Changes in release 3.25 (2007-03-08)
- Added options to display the transformed toolpaths.
- Added ability to show/hide the options on the toolpath export.
Changes in release 3.24 (2007-03-08)
- Corrected probing results refresh issue.
- Corrected DLL internal issues.
Changes in release 3.23 (2007-03-07)
- Added options to the make probe dialog to set U/V deltas to be
applied when generating a probing operation.
- Changed the read probe results code to handle siemens XYZ results,
and to also display the probe pane whenever there are probe values
in the file. This is necessary to be able to see the values that
you just read in.
- Internal DLL fixes for computing workpiece displacement from probe
results and generating code with the transform.
Changes in release 3.22 (2007-03-06)
- Added options to the CNC export dialog to select the work offset
frame, digits of precision, and use of optional stops after every
workingstep in the generated code.
- Internal DLL fixes for probing and CNC code generation.
Changes in release 3.21 (2007-03-02)
- Internal DLL fixes for probing.
Changes in release 3.20 (2007-02-28)
- Refinements to CNC export dialog and corrections to MDSI output.
Changes in release 3.19 (2007-02-26)
- Added export dialog for control over the code generation units and
- Corrected units issue when generating code for MDSI.
Changes in release 3.18 (2007-02-23)
- Improvements and fixes on setup sheet and DLL.
- Added "Delete" popup menu on the tree display to remove unwanted
workingsteps and workplans.
Changes in release 3.17 (2007-02-22)
- Workingsteps without toolpaths no longer cause exceptions.
- Improved display code for planar face and general outside profile
features. Added detail pane for general pattern features.
- Added ability to display and save setup sheets for the project.
Changes in release 3.16 (2007-02-07)
- The viewer now resets to orbit mode after setting a datum.
- When creating a Probing Plan for a surface, now testing for failure
of the probe creation before trying to define a position tolerance.
- Saving the design via File | Save or File | Save As now forces a
viewer reload because the data has different identifiers.
- Corrected the Highlight Probe Measures to take account of the
workpiece placement when displaying the points.
Changes in release 3.15 (2007-01-31)
- Changed Probing | Get Probe Results to use a file dialog to find the
- Forced datum checkboxes to appear when setting datums.
Changes in release 3.14 (2007-01-31)
- Added the Probing | Highlight Probe Measures submenu to display
status volumes on the part for probes that are out of tolerance.
The submenu turns volumes on, off, increases, decrease the size.
- Added View | Highlight Feature Faces option and made the value of
that and the View | Display NC Functions option persistent between
Changes in release 3.13 (2007-01-25)
- Refresh with improvements to probing code generation.
Changes in release 3.12 (2007-01-24)
- Added the "View P28" HTML shell extension to the installer.
- Added Export | Haas option and Import | Fanuc and Haas options.
- Refresh with improvements to zlib compressed STEP XML files.
Changes in release 3.11 (2007-01-22)
- Now supports STEP-NC data in zlib compressed XML files.
- Setting the placement (Setup | Placement | etc.) for workpiece,
rawpiece, or fixture no longer overwrites the STEP-NC file. You can
save the results or not as with the other things.
Changes in release 3.10 (2007-01-19)
- Improved the backplot play feature so that it continues on to the
next workingstep when the current one is complete.
- Now displaying the spindle speed for rapids. Needs v1.25 of the
geometry control to work correctly.
- STEP-NC DLL refresh that improves performace when tolerance data is
present in the file.
Changes in release 3.9 (2007-01-16)
- Selecting a workplan now displays all toolpaths within the plan.
For performance reasons, this has been disabled for the main plan
but may be enabled at a later date.
- The probe maker now offers to create a position tolerance. Also
remembers preferred probe direction between calls.
Changes in release 3.8 (2007-01-12)
- The Create Probing Plan function now associates probing tool
geometry with the plan and reloads the viewer control with the
result. The probe tool geometry is currently fixed to be a file
called tools/probe.stp in the install directory.
- Now installing a selection of sample tool geometry including the
probing tool described above.
- Updated all of the other functions that reload the viewer so that
they no longer delete on existing files during the reload process.
Changes in release 3.7 (2007-01-11)
- Added Probing | Create Probing Plan for Surface for initial testing.
It recognizes planes and b_spline_curve_with_knot surface types. It
is only partially functional -- when creating a new plan, the tree
control is reloaded so that you can see it, but the geometry control
is not yet reloaded.
- Replaced Zoom All toolbar icon with a more intuitive one. Minor
tweaks to the other icons.
- Changed the saved settings in the registry so that they are now all
under STEP Tools, Inc. and in sensible subkeys. The recent file
list will be reset because it is now stored in a different place.
Changes in release 3.6 (2007-01-04)
- Explorer now does a Zoom All when opening the first step to make
sure that everything is well centered when the part is far from the
- Added tooltips for pick/pan/rotate toolbar.
- Added Export | Tool menu option, plus other internal changes to the
- Tolerance list in Probing pane is now cleared when moving between
- OCX binary compatibility with earlier versions broken because of
a number of interface changes.
Changes in release 3.5 (2007-01-03)
- Fixed resize of backplot buttons and speed slider in left column and
positioning of the coordinates display in the model window.
- Explorer now goes to the first workingstep with a toolpath rather
than looking for one with multiple toolpaths. This means that a
probing operation will be shown if present.
- Added the current pick/pan/rotate status to the toolbar.
- Changed the cursors used for picking bodies, faces, and edges to be
less goofy looking (was a stickman, smiley face, and an E).
Changes in release 3.4 (2006-12-29)
- Added View | Entity ID for Pick menu option to display pick results.
- Expanded coordinate box to accommodate larger numbers and greater
- Geometry control now supports panning, better switching between the
various pick and view modes.
- STEP-NC DLL refresh.
Changes in release 3.3 (2006-12-22)
- Significantly improved geometry display speed for larger toolpaths.
Changes in release 3.2 (2006-12-22)
Changes in release 3.1 (2006-12-21)
- Visual improvements to the backplot start/stop, forward and reverse
buttons and added a slider to control backplot speed. Also reworked
the backplot to avoid saturating the CPU on slow speeds.
- Added display support in the workplan tree for more NC Functions
(return home, program stop, and optional stop)
Changes in release 3.0 (2006-12-18)
- Added a display pane for Probing operations as well as coloring of
features on the part (red/yellow/green) depending on the results of
probing returned from the CNC. The model view has checkboxes to
display datum faces if present in the part. First demonstrated at
the Hershey ISP meeting and since improved.
- Corrected the handling of the "most recently used" file list on the
- Reworked the internals of the STEPNCExplorer Active X control to
remove any remaining references to the StixCOM package. The tool
now gets all data directly from the STEPNC DLL. The COM signature
of the tool has changed as a result, so the OCX is now version 3
rather than 2.
Changes in release 2.20 and earlier
- Changelog not maintained.